Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"It's super late notice but..."

"It's super late notice but..." says Natalie.

Natalie.

My very easy going niece.
My sister Stephanie's daughter.
My my great nephews and niece's mom - (Lincoln 5, Emma 3, Judah 6 mos.)

Way before it even started...my past weekend was full of many fun things to do. I had it all planned out so it all would fit.

Friday was booked solid.
I had promised Eric dinner for a well done job interview. I saved Friday morning to put that together. At noon, I was meeting friends for a long overdue lunch date. After lunch, I was volunteering at a local mission store from 2-5. There was just enough time after the store to come home to get our dinner ready and to pack up Eric's dinner. There was more fun ahead on Saturday and Sunday too. It looked like a perfectly planned day and weekend.
                                             
Then my phone went "DING". 

hmmm....A text from Natalie.

I thought she was on her way to a friends' wedding in Idaho with her husband Rick and baby Judah. They had a fun get-a-way weekend ahead. She had it all planned out too. Lincoln and Emma were going to stay with friends Thursday to Friday. My sister had them Friday to Sunday. Then Natalie's mother-in-law had them Sunday to Monday.
We both had perfectly planned weekends...until the phone went "DING!"

She says in her text, "It's super late notice but...
...is there anyway that Lincoln and Emma could stay over at your house tonight until my parents pick them up Friday evening? Our friends that were planning to have them tonight had a death in their family this morning." End of text.
                                                             End of perfect plans.

Before I could tell her all that I had going on and add to it that our 14 yr old dog was really sick...my fingers texted back, "Sure..." She didn't need to know my plans. She was desperate and so very grateful for my yes. I was happy she asked me to help be a part of her short notice change of plans.

My Friday turned out even better then I planned it. I still was able to keep my commitments plus have Lincoln and Emma too. We went camping-house camping...sleeping bags and a night light lantern and late night stories and promises of pancakes for breakfast. Early the next morning my newly planned Friday began with 2 little voices calling, "Aunt J'Hanna we are awake!"
Friday came MUCH earlier then I planned. 

The kids were great helpers stirring up pancake batter and scrambling eggs.

 We played some more and they helped me make dinner for later.  

The morning flew by and I realized I still needed a shower. I took a minute to text Natalie a photo of her full of energy kids and also ask her a question...
I texted, "So when do I get a shower?" Her text back was..."What's a shower??!!". 

My parents came over for lunch duty and Cassidy was delighted to play with them for the afternoon. Everyone enjoyed having a part in the new short notice plans.


On my way to my sister's house on Friday I took this photo of these 2 very fun kids after their fun filled day at our house. I realized that I missed one small detail of the day. Either I had the kids ready for bed early or I forgot to change their clothes. They were still in their jammies! Oh well...sometimes that's a nice change of plans too.

Instead of the end of my perfect plan...that "DING" was definitely the new improved plan.

We all get these 'short notice change of plans'. Be watching/listening for yours. Hold your plans lightly because God may have a "DING" ahead...a different plan ahead. You might even be blessed with a last minute camping trip, a few smiley pancakes and maybe even a stay in your jammies day.

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." 
Proverbs 19:21 
I would love to see your comments. 
  • Click on comment below to add your comment. 
  • Type your name in the name/URL option 
  • Click publish

7 comments:

Debbie N. said...

That is a great way to look at those Dings in life! Thank you!

Sue said...

"..the Lord's purpose prevails". Love this story, Johanna !
the dings or bumps in the road to us are for His purposes. Great to remember . You are giving those grand niece and nephews some terrific memories--

Glenys Nellist said...

I love it that you texted 'yes' immediately. Jesus had a life of interruptions & dealt with them just as you did :)

Johanna Hyland said...

Thanks Sue...yes good reminder and the memories are priceless!

Johanna Hyland said...

I love how you caught that 'yes'. Thanks for sharing that Glenys!

Johanna Hyland said...

Thanks Debbie!

Gloria Bellware said...

I wasn't as quick as you were to say "yes" to the "Ding" last
week, but God did gag me until I can spit out a "sure" in a genuinely
positive attitude. Then He just piled on the blessings. What I would
have missed! You are so wise so embrace God's detours. Thanks for posting.