Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

"It's a no wagging day!"

"It's a no wagging day!" says Jewel.

Jewel.
My almost 15 year old Brittany Spaniel friend. (105 in human years!)
My husband's great bird hunting pointer dog.
My miracle dog. (She beat cancer 3x's and has outlived most Brittanys.)
I never wanted a dog. 
I never grew up with a dog. 
And I never thought I would love a dog. 
To me dogs were just dogs...until I met Jewel. 

I knew I was in for it when a kennel showed up on our kitchen. 
That weekend we drove for hours to pick up this tiny orange and white pup. 

Kristen gave her the name Jewel 
(named after 1 of the '101 Dalmations' pups).
A JEWEL she was..
She was a great pointer.. she even could point at the dust in the sunlight and at the drips from melting ice sickles and catch every one. 
She was a great friend to us all, to all our cats and to every dog on the street. 
She loved everyone... even strangers.

For almost 15 years, 
Jewel was our loyal, always loving and tail wagging friend.
Her tail said it all. It wagged non-stop...like a never ending smile. 
This past month her tail has stopped wagging.
Jewel has been saying, "It's a no wagging day."
Her long dog life is soon coming to end. You can tell she is ready to go by her no wagging tail. The fond memory of her tail wagging smile will always be with me. I love you Jewel and I will miss you! The poem below says it all...

JUST A DOG
From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," 
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, 
or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," 
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," 
and in those days of darkness, 
the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort 
and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," 
then you probably understand phrases like 
"just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of 
friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me 
and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity
and keeps me from being "just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."

~Unknown Author~

Thank you Jewel for being more than 'just a dog' to me. 
Thank you God for giving us pets to love and enjoy! 

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father..." 
James 1:17

1 comment:

Angie S. said...

Awww! Thanks for your sweet story.