Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Purple is memorable."

"Purple is memorable," says CC. (Cecilia)

CC (Cecilia).

My son Eric's fun loving wife.
My favorite daughter-in-law.
My creative encouraging newest family member.

                                              Eric and CC were married August 4, 2012.
Their 1st year of marriage has gone well. CC has many creative ideas and always has some new project going. She has Eric doing house projects I have never seen him interested in before. From remodeling, painting, plumbing, electrical and even building a chicken coop! It has been fun to watch them together as they encourage each other to develop their gifts/talents... and also experience doing new things.

One area in their marriage has been a test of waiting and perseverance. Eric has been searching and interviewing for almost 2 years for a job that fits his communications/media studies degree. In the past a Walmart job had paid their bills. And more recently he has been forklift operator at Stryker Corp. Eric has never had interest in driving big machines. But with CC's encouragement, it was a good job change. Even though it started as 2nd shift hours, Eric is making a little more money and also working for a company that has potential for a future job.

As much as this job is not what he wants to do as a career...he works it like it was. He learned the job quickly and does it well. Others have noticed and recognized his efforts. A few weeks ago he had the opportunity to apply for a business job at Stryker. Not too many get past the phone interviews with Stryker. Eric had a face to face interview and then was called back as 1 of 4 to interview again. That was a great accomplishment/compliment to just get to the real interviews because Stryker is listed in the top 10 hardest companies in the country to get a real interview and it is the #1 hardest to do the actual interview!

I wanted to encourage him somehow for the interview. I offered to take him shopping for a new shirt and tie. A new outfit always makes me feel a little more confident...maybe it would do the same for him too. He took me up on it and we met at the store.

I asked him what color of shirt he wanted. This is what he told me:
  • Blue is a safe color... (and he went on to list other color meanings)
  • Red is powerful
  • Yellow is kind
  • Pink is daring
  • Brown is conservative
  • Green is sporty
  • Orange is social
But CC says, "Purple is memorable."

We soon found the perfect shirt and tie - guess what color?

                                                                          Purple.
Eric chose to be memorable....not safe, powerful, kind, conservative, sporty or social...
                                                               Eric chose memorable.

CC's creative encouraging comment ended up going to that interview as a new shirt and tie on a very encouraged and just a bit more confident Eric. The interview went so well that even though the job went to another with more experience (Eric's words, "I got all the way to 2nd place my 1st time through!) ...Eric knows that he was memorable and potential jobs are ahead.  He also will remember how a little purple colored encouragement boosted his confidence that day.

Who needs our creative colored encouragement today?
Whose actions, attitudes and comments have been memorable to you?
...you know...
          those words or unexpected gifts you will never forget that got you through a tough day,
                              that helped you do something new...
                                                                         or... 
                                          just made you smile when you needed it most?
Who left behind some creative memorable purple in your life?

Leave me some comments below...I would love to hear your stories!
                          Then...Go leave a little purple behind today.

 "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:5-6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was just what I needed to hear today! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Johanna, I think that is wonderful.
I've always loved "purple" and "red".
He looked great too.
I am so glad that you and your daughter-in-law are good friends too, that's great.

Gloria Bellware said...

It still makes me smile when I pick up the pair of socks you gave me when I was sick. "Be Happy"
Thanks for the creative memorable purple you gave me.

Johanna Hyland said...

Gloria...you just made me smile :-)