Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"This is a no knocking house."

"This is a no knocking house," says Lincoln. 
He is almost 5 years old but tucked inside his well chosen words are years and years of life. 

Lincoln.
My great nephew. 
My niece - Natalie's son. 
My Monday morning play date. 

Usually each Monday I pick up Lincoln and his 3 year old sister Emma. Emma goes to my parent's house where she does girly stuff with my mom. While they do that, Lincoln gets to hang out with me. 

This past Monday, we arrived at Gramma Marshmallow's house (that's another story for later). I pulled into the garage and spent like what seemed to be eternity to undo Emma's 'adult proof' car seat. In the mean time, Lincoln was in the process of quickly unclicking his 'not-so adult proof ' booster seat. On my final unclick of Emma's seat, she bounced out of the car and right through Gramma's door singing, "I'm here Gramma Marshmallow, I'm here!" 

I say, "Wow! "She is so excited to be here ...she just ran right inside."  Lincoln simply says, "That's because this is a no knocking house." That was a new one to me...What is a no knocking house? I couldn't wait for this explanation. 

Later he tells me that they have knocking houses and no knocking houses. And that everyone needs to have some no knocking houses. Those are the ones where you don't need a key and you know it is okay to go right in because someone inside can't wait to see you!  He listed off his no knocking houses. Made me smile when he included me on his no knocking house list. I know how much my mom enjoys Emma's visits and Lincoln always makes my day.

Who is on your no knocking house list? Who can't wait to see you or hear from you today? Thank God for your no knocking houses. They are one of His many ways He loves us as we love others. 
 "...When we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." 
1 John 4:12


7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Awesome! :)

Glenys Nellist said...

What a sweet & profound story Johanna! Two thoughts...firstly, I love the 'Grandma Marshmallow' name, as I am 'Grandma Jelly Beans' myself :)
Secondly, it made me think that God has a no-knocking house too! I fact, his door is always open....loved your story! Blessings!

Gloria Bellware said...

I have the same thought as Glenys about how blessed we are that God's house is a no-knocking house. Love your story. Those 2 kids are precious!

Unknown said...

From the mouth of babes.......Lincoln's story makes me think about the 'no knocking' houses in my life. A blessing that could be missed Thanks for sharing a simple truth from a little boy that makes me think.....

Jeanne Bigler said...

I, too, was thinking of God's "no knocking" house . . . and that all of our "mansions" will be" no knocking mansions"!

EternalW1nter said...

Awesome story! I haven't ever heard of this no knocking list, but I love it.

Johanna Hyland said...

I loved seeing where all your thoughts went on that ...and Glenys...aka Grandma Jelly Bean...that must be a fun story!