Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

"Are you working hard or hardly working?"

"Are you working hard or hardly working?" says Bill.

Bill.
My 81 year old father.
My kids' grandpa and great grandpa to my nieces' kids.
My model of how to play and have fun in life dad.

He is 81 and still playing. He loves to play.  He knows how to make life fun because he knows how to play in life...all of life. Music, games, sports, puzzles and words are his favorite toys. He is really good at making work play. It has been fun to grow up with him.

1962 (me in front)
2012

1983 
Dad is known for his dry humor and play on words. He loves playing with words...making you think and then making you laugh...from really funny stories, fun jokes/puns-what my kids call 'grandpa jokes" to some great one-liners.

One of his favorite sayings is, "Are you working hard or hardly working?" 
I had always heard that one as one way or the other...you either worked or not. 
I finally get it. 
It is his way of saying that life is both...hard work and making it like not work...making it fun. Dad has always worked hard. He has had some very hard things to work at in life from jobs, family and health. Looking back I now see how he made the hard times fun times by playing with the fun gifts and talents God gave him. 

God often takes us through hard times, challenges and tests. It is our choice of how to go through it. We can work hard at it... or... hardly work at it... or do both. I choose both...it's just more fun. :-)

"...The joy of the Lord is my strength."
Nehemiah 8:10

5 comments:

Unknown said...

love your dad

Unknown said...

Your dad is the best dad! I feel very fortunate to include him and your mom in my prayers and love them as much as if they were my own parents!

Johanna Hyland said...

Thanks Sarah!
Kathy... I will share your kind words with my dad and mom.

Kathy Patterson said...

You have learned that lesson well and modelled/taught it to others.... ME! Love you both!

Johanna Hyland said...

Thanks KP! You are quite lovable too!