Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

"Here I am!" said Grief.

"Here I am!" said Grief.

Grief.
It brings heartache.
It is often unexpected.
...and it always brings comfort.

Our community has been touched deeply by grief this past week. A friend's two youngest children died on impact when their car slid off an icy road. Another teen committed suicide. A area teacher was killed in a car accident. Tragedy all around. Many hearts are heavy in grief. Hearts are aching.

Grief is hard. It is hard to explain. It can only be experienced. It is different for everyone. Grief comes in phases and hits in waves. But God always follows grief with comfort. God will offer comfort in many ways...through others, through his word. 

Someone has said, "Grief never ends...but it changes.  It's a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love" ~Author unknown~  Grief will draw us closer to God ...if we let it. That is God's desire (my added words). 

Words from a song that comforted me this week. 

"Tell your heart to beat again" 
by Phillips, Craig and Dean

"Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
You’ll live to love another day
Yesterday’s a closing door
And you don’t live there anymore
So say goodbye to where you’ve been
And tell your heart to beat again

Hope is reaching from a rugged cross
Where a perfect love recaptured all the innocence that’s lost
And mercy’s calling from an empty grave
So lift your eyes to heaven
And hear your Savior say

Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
You’ll live to love another day
Yesterday’s a closing door
And you don’t live there anymore
So say goodbye to where you’ve been
And tell your heart to beat again"

                                            How has your grief been comforted?
Be listening for your promised comfort for your grief today. 

"Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you."
John 16:22

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you.

Karie said...

A wise friend, who had just lost a child- comforted me as I grieved for her loss with "God will not give you what I need to walk this road...but He will give me the grace I need to walk to this road" It reminded me, my job is to stay on my knees for her.



anne@lifediscoverycoaching.com said...

My deep and sudden grief of losing both of my parents within three days of each other was comforted by the presence ...not the words ... of those who loved me.

The story of this family caused me many times to pray and yet I never met them. I believe God uses my prayers to comfort them in ways I cannot understand. I know He comforts.

Johanna Hyland said...

Thank you Karie and Anne for your heartfelt wise words! Prayers and our presence is priceless.