Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

"Don't Floss..."

"Don't Floss...", says my dentist.

Dr. John Sinclair Jr.
My mouth's best friend.
My always there tooth expert.
My smile maker.

As a dental hygienist, I always preach and endorse flossing at every opportunity. I never thought I would hear those words. "Don't floss..." from my dentist! 

I have made it over 50 years without any major dental work. I have prided myself in my nice smile because I do take good care of my teeth. Even though some of my body parts are failing me as I age..I counted on my great teeth to never fail me.

That all changed last month over a tiny blackberry seed. I bit hard on it not knowing it was there in my yogurt. Pain. Intense and instant.

My trusty dentist discovered a crack which led to a root canal and days later a chunk of tooth cracked off leaving behind a jagged sharp canyon in my tooth. Then my overly curious tongue became my cut up ulcerated tongue...and in all this ...my oral surgeon husband sarcastically kept saying he could easily extract it and save me all this pain...(he is kidding but it was an option.)

I opted to save the tooth...so today was my crowning day :-).. guess I really am royalty now! After my dentist placed the temporary crown, his words were..."Don't Floss...THAT tooth until you get the permanent crown."

Made me smile to be given a little grace in this big ordeal. Made me grateful for a caring dentist who is always there for routine visits and unexpected problems too. Made me also think of the many everyday routine things I take for granted until life has an unexpected problem.

My smile just got bigger knowing I can count on God always being there in the good and bad. I need to watch for the little graces he gives to keep me smiling through all these temporary problems  ...until I get my real crown in heaven. :-)

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:17-18

What little thing made you smile today?
Share your smiles by commenting below. I love getting your comments!
(Use the name/URL  option...just type your name there.. disregard the URL and Google stuff if that isn't your thing.)

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love your smile! :-) And I wish I was better at flossing everyday...oops!

Johanna Hyland said...

Linds.....I love how your eyes smile! you must be great at flossing them ;-)

Unknown said...

leave it to you to apply no flossing, temporaries & crowns, to grace and heaven. Only you. That's what I love about you.

Johanna Hyland said...

Thanks to my fellow hygiene buddy Sarah! you SO get it!

Anonymous said...

The verse from 2 Corinthians really hit home for me! Raising a stubborn toddler is really frustrating at times, and it's good to be reminded that there is purpose in our struggles! Miss you Johanna!
Love,
Elizabeth Gibbs

Johanna Hyland said...

Hi Elizabeth!
Fun to hear from you. Hard to believe you have little ones. I saw your mom a few weeks ago.She enjoyed talking about her wonderful grandkids. :-). Keep on being a wonderful mom!