Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

"The doors lock at 3."

"The doors lock at 3," says Eric.

Eric.
My first born.
My favorite son.
My for real black belt Ninja.

26 years ago I knew this kid would be a Ninja by just how he kicked and rolled nonstop in my pregnant tummy. By 4 years old, he was an avid fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...all the way down to his underwear. Every stick became a sword and we could always count on his dramatic protection whether we needed it or not.

Fast forward some 20+ years. Eric and Lynn have been learning Ninjutsu-the personal art of self defense. Some how my little 4 year old mutant ninja turtle had grown up into a mentally and physically trained ninja.

Saturday, Aug 31 at 3pm was the BIG day for the long awaited black belt test. The date was on my calendar for weeks. I wouldn't miss it. Eric gave me lots of reminders. The last reminder was a phone call 1 hour before the test.  "The doors lock at 3", he says.

My thoughts were...they start on time and don't be late. My thoughts changed after I was inside watching them lock the doors.  Yes they lock the doors to keep out distracting late people...but they really lock the doors to keep in the testing students.

It was a hour of intense testing...sweaty and bloody and many times so intense ...if it was me (I have no training and very little knowledge of Ninjutsu)..I would have bolted for the door 3 minutes into it. But they were well prepared. They had all they needed to pass this test. The locked door was just a reminder..the only way out was to pass the test...to show what they had learned... to apply it.

Life is full of tests and locked doors.
God offers us all we need to pass the tests. When we choose to receive it and apply it, he unlocks the door to more of the exciting life adventure he has planned for us.

What test has us locked in? 
What does God need to see from us now to unlock the door to more of life?

Tests are God's personal art of our lives.

" But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. 
        My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his was without turning aside. 
 I have not departed from the commands of his lips; 
      I have treasured the words of his mouth more then my daily bread."
Job 23:10-12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But why do they have to hurt so much?