Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"It was 96 until I ate that apple pie."

"It was 96 until I ate that apple pie," says Ruth.

Ruth.
My 'getting ready to be 80' mom.
My great model of a giving heart.
My reason to be in a heart surgery waiting room today.

Those of you that know her would agree...my mom has a very generous heart that's quite unique and very one-of-a-kind. All she loves to do, she will do with all her heart for you. From soup and fried chicken to flowers and sewing to ironing and praying.

She really prays and irons. And..she irons everything...even sheets & dish cloths. I have to say there's nothing like sleeping in freshly ironed sheets..esp if you didn't iron them. (I have to pray to iron.) Mom just has a big heart that works really hard at loving us in her unique way.

Today her aging hard working heart is getting some needed medical attention. (She did well.)

As the doctor questioned her about her medical history, mom was her usual talkative self giving the answers and then some. After a number of humorous and often too much info answers, this doctor became wise.  He asked her, "What is your blood sugar?" Her answer was, "It was 96 until I ate that apple pie." Before she could even begin to give him the pie recipe, he quickly responded with, "The important question is...was the apple pie good?"

Often we can miss tasting the pie in life...we miss the little blessings..the good that God does for us when life is hard. In the mean time, life wears us down and sometimes wears us out.

My important question to you is, "What good thing is God doing for you in the middle of your tough times?
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him." Psalm  34:8

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks!

Kathy Dyer said...

Love this! I agree your Mom has the biggest heart! Those who meet her can't help but fall in love with her! I am glad she did well! Hugs to all of you and congratulations on the blog! Ruth read these to me the other day on the phone and I love these stories! Keep up the good work and word!

Gloria Bellware said...

Please give your Mom hugs from me. And I'm with you on how heavenly it is to sleep on ironed sheets especially if you didn't iron it. Great Mom, great daughter, great blog. Super great application question. Thanks.

Glenys Nellist said...

Your mum sounds like a wonderful person. I had a hard act to follow with my mother in law. She used to iron my husband's underpants. Never did manage that myself...